Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Vogon Poetry

Today was a fun day for Maddie as the school had a big outdoor day, a picnic day outside that was a lot of fun.  There was a lot of goofing around and a lot of fun, and just a nice day outside with her friends, although it got pretty hot out there.  She loved it though, and couldn't wait to tell us all kind of stories of her day, and share pictures she was taking of her friends, "ugly pictures," they called them, which is to say they were pictures taken of each other at odd angles, all of them not ready for the picture to be taken and so on.  She has a gallery of these on her phone now.  Quite a bit different from the fashion shoot the other day!


I was out filming this afternoon for KidPak and yeah, it was hot.  Fortunately, that rain storm came right in and cooled everything off tremendously.  I sat out there and just watched the rain for a while, feeling the wind and listening to the wonderful sounds of summer rain.  We got a lot done in multiple directions, from KidPak to FCY.  Lots going on at the church.


It is Towel Day today, and to celebrate, we watched "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" this evening.  It's been a while since we've seen it, and everyone was enjoying it quite a bit.  Now I want to read the books again, all six of the original trilogy.  We were laughing throughout the movie and remembering different parts.  I read these books in college, of course, and read the series again a few years ago when the new book was added to the mix.


We heard about a Vogon Poetry contest coming up, and inspired by the challenge, I asked Maddie to write some torturously bad poetry.  Here's her "bad poem" that would make the Vogons quite proud.  In fact, here's one of the Vogons reading it right now.



I thought I'd write a bit of bad poetry as well, although it's harder than I thought.  I may not have Madison's gift as a bad poet scribe, but here goes:


Bureaucracy!

a lovely goal

If you can see

a Vogon's soul

burns with desire

for paperwork

but not really on fire

for that won't work

and would be hot

and dumb a lot,

and makes one as confused as a swiftly moving dolphin

that's very confused about something


We read a little tonight, and after that came prayers.  I was exhausted.  It might be the super workouts that I'm doing in the morning, getting the heart rate up much higher to around 144 or so, even going up to 150. At home, I don't go so high, still doing my POV walks through different places.  I was along the Bridal Trail in Central Park, and also a POV walk through of Six Flags over Georgia.  We'll be there in person this Sunday, so it's good to get the lay of the land.


Anyway, we all slept easy tonight, safe from Vogons and interstellar bypasses.


No comments:

Post a Comment