Monday, May 24, 2021

Patriotic Christmas Trees and Patriotic Zombies



I love these plates I saw at Publix.  They've got a picture of a bicycle on them and some flags hanging above, but when turned upside down, they can also be a picture of a patriotic zombie!  We've got two patriotic zombies lined up here, glaring at customers as they pass by.  We generally look for faces in places where there aren't really faces, just as a fun little pastime.  These were ideal.  It looks like some sort of patriotic plate that Tim Burton designed.

Well speaking of bikes, I was on one today.  Did about ten miles.  Of course, I didn't actually go anywhere, but today's work-out was on an exercise bike, as I really messed up my foot last week.  That was essentially the result of walking so far and so fast in a pair of inadequate sneakers not necessary designed for anything like that.  I was limping a bit right after.  SO, today we got out to a sporting goods store, which is undiscovered country for us for the most part.  I mean, we're there every so often for a prop, or maybe even a camping item.  But today, I was there as a customer, and I actually paid more for a pair of shoes than I think I ever have in my life.  I heard from a friend that her running shoes have lasted her a long time, over a decade, and it's because she only wears them when she runs.  So that helped me justify the expense.  These days, it's not uncommon for people to pay a lot of money for a pair of shoes, and while I appreciate shoes as much as the next person, I don't appreciate them that much!  Anyway, we got some shoes.  I'll try them out on the treadmill tomorrow.


Madison got a 96 on her trigonometry test.  She nailed it.  I mean, wow.  That brought her final grade up to a 91, and she was pretty psyched about that.  We got a letter in the mail inviting us to a virtual broadcast of the honors ceremony at the school.  Wednesday morning they'll have the ceremony, and that night we'll watch a broadcast of it online.  We can invite others to watch it too.  So middle school is wrapping up, and in regards to grades, she has gotten all A's for the entire journey through middle school.  That's insanely impressive.  She has friends, is in a club, and has enjoyed middle school very much.  Also, obviously, she's learned a lot.  So we're very happy how things turned out, and we're again so very, very super proud of her.


Tonight, Madison was at taekwondo, and I'm kicking myself because I forgot the camera.  She and the others were in leadership, and they were training with their swords again, which is not Maddie's favorite weapon because it's a little more challenging to use.  It is, however, super cool looking.  I mean, just imagine you're a jedi knight, and you're good to go.  They were doing some sparring after that using combat sticks, and there were flying kicks tonight too.  Madison got a running start and the idea was to do a flying kick at a target up high.  She hit the target, but it was fun watching all the students flying about with legs flailing!


Tonight we watched "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." of course, starting out the back half of season two.  I remember watching this when it aired, and just reliving the wait from week to week.  Maddie's seen these before too, although just like before she didn't have to wait a whole week to find out what happened next, or what was going on.  While that was being watched, I was finishing up on something that we've been talking about doing, and I'm pretty happy to say we finally did it.  It's a patriotic tree!





We have a Christmas tree up in May now, but it's a patriotic themed one, more geared towards Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.  We found these wooden ornaments a few months ago that were essentially Fourth of July decorations, and Mom just recently got some red and white glass ball ornaments that add to it.  We also added the official White House ornaments as well as a nice ribbon and a few mini-flags at the top, plus some bunting at the bottom to make a tree skirt.  I'm thinking we'll do this every year now - it turned out well!

Late to bed, we got in our reading, and then we were off to sleep rather quickly.  It was a good day though!


No comments:

Post a Comment