Thursday, May 20, 2021

Gone with the Wind


Taekwondo tonight, and you can see the peanut gallery here above.  Maddie had leadership training again, once more with the swords.  But there was also a rather intensive training with punching bags and a good bit of exercise.  We took it easy and simply watched from the observation area.  I've already done my intensive training for the day - my cardio therapy is getting more strenuous and certainly a little more effort than previous.  I did 3.14 miles today at a 5% incline in about 45 minutes.  I say "about" because there were probably five minutes added on to that.  It was four miles per hour for the majority of the treadmill session.  As much work as it is, it feels great to be able to even do that at all, so I am grateful.

School is winding down, and in some classes, students are actually "doing something," although in others not.  Madison was not taking a Spanish final, as her grade was high enough that she could opt out of it.  In Social Studies, she's been watching "Gone with the Wind," and I'm glad that great end-of-the school year tradition is continuing.  


I remember watching that in school as well.  I'm not entirely sure why that particular Civil War movie, and I'm certainly not against it.  I'm just glad Madison is watching three hours of self-centered Scarlet O'Hara abusing everyone until Rhett Butler finally wakes up at the end to express what we're all feeling by that point.  Somewhere in between all that, Atlanta burns and we lose the curtains.  I may have to watch it again, but I don't remember ever loving this movie the way that many others do.  I suppose it is good historical fiction though, and again, the cultural significance of the movie itself is valuable.  So again, I'm not opposed to her watching it at school at all.  Part of me is like, "Yeah, now she has to suffer through that too!"

ANYWAY, we got an arbor in the mail today, one that I ordered a while ago for Mom's birthday.  So today I started putting that together.  I'll finish it over the weekend, but Mom was wanting to have that on one side of the house, and it looks pretty good so far.  

Madison was playing some piano today, working on the new song for the recital, and then an episode of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." after that.  We read tonight from "Kingdom Keepers," which she's hooked on right now.  After that, of course, prayers, getting tucked in, and a good night's rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment