Wednesday, September 29, 2021

National Coffee Day


It’s National Coffee Day, and I didn’t drink coffee today.  I don’t usually drink coffee, unless it’s something special.  Mom and I used to go on dates to small coffee shops in town, playing Scrabble or other games while we had some coffees or teas.  Starbucks came in and the small places went out of business not long after, and I just never got a hankering for Starbucks.  The atmosphere is nothing like the local small places we used to go to.  I miss those small coffee shops, and I miss the live performances.  One time we went to see a local band, One Tree Hill, which Mom and I really liked going to see.  Other times we’d see other bands or performers we didn’t really know.  It’s not so much about the coffee in all these cases, but the atmosphere, I guess.  



Small Group Night celebrated National Coffee Day with a trivia game that I made up last night for all the girls.  The last two questions were the ones that informed the kids all about Kopi Luwak, that super expensive coffee that is made from beans that have been through the entire digestive system of wild civets.  I remember hearing about this coffee many years ago, and a little later it was made famous in a movie called “The Bucket List.”  The girls found out about it tonight, much to their horror and/or delight.

 

I have such a sore back right now, but we got all kinds of pea gravel for the fire pit down there.  Mom and Nana will spread that out tomorrow, and we might be done with the surrounding area there, although we have plenty more to do with the project before we can start lighting fires in it.  It’s coming along nicely.

 

We have a new shift of hummingbirds coming in, different ones stopping by to get a drink.  The other ones have since migrated, moving on south of here.  It won’t be long before our season is over, but it’s been nice seeing the hummingbirds flit in.  

 

Tonight we had spaghetti for dinner, and it was just perfect as always.  I was on the treadmill afterwards, and we were watching a few things after that, like the latest “What If…?”  And “Turner and Hooch” as well, which appears to be wrapping up.  But we threw in an October-themed special, “Shrekless,” which is a great Halloween special.  We’ve seen so many of these, and it’s not even October yet.  We’ve got plenty more to go.

 

Speaking of themed stuff, I’ve been reading this “Night of the Living Dummy” book, and it’s been fun to read a RL Stine book for the first time.  I can see why the younger kids like this stuff – if I had picked one up as a kid, I probably would have read a lot of his books.  I might have found myself super scared too – I was scared of everything as a kid.  The idea of Slappy sitting there in the bedroom at night, staring across the room at you… that still gives me the creeps!

 

It was a good day today.  We closed things out with reading some more from the latest Kingdom Keepers adventure, and after that, of course we prayed, tucked Maddie in, and everyone fell asleep quickly, hoping that I won’t wake up in the night to see a ventriloquist dummy sitting in a chair there in the dark, glaring at me….


No comments:

Post a Comment