Sunday, April 18, 2021

The Show Must Go On!


These people are incredible.  The show must go on,  and just before heading out, Isaac took this group picture of them practicing in the office, sending it to me immediately. I had just written a small note to them, wishing them well, and I got this picture at home right away.  Such kindness!  This is such a dedicated and talented team of actors, and it was only two weeks ago that Daniel and I were talking about his previous time spent directing a drama team, and how that might come in handy soon.  We had no idea it'd be within two weeks!  The entire cast showed up ready for action, ready to go, and that includes Madison.  They nailed the performance!


Maddie had a great morning - she said it was hard not to crack up at certain parts on stage, as everyone was in such a great spirits.  It's fantastic that they can come in and just knock it out of the park like that.  It was the entire cast for this series, and they got through it all wonderfully.  Mom was there, and she said they did a nice job with it all.  I felt so good about writing a script this week, under all the surrounding circumstances, and still we managed to do something of great quality for the kids.  Because it matters.  Those two words have resonated with me:  "It matters."  These kids matter.  I've been ministering to a congregation of a few hundred for many years now, my written material reaching out further than that.  It matters.  They matter.  That's why I had to write a script, and that was why I've been so filled with joy to see the morning went so well, even without me there.  As a perk, there was Maddie, right there in the midst of the greatness.



Meanwhile, Nana and I were birdwatching.  We were on the back deck and the weather was really nice today.  A cardinal couple came up fairly close, and I didn't have the camera when they were up close, but they seemed to be so happy with one another, moving along from branch to branch.  It was sweet.


Nana and I had a full morning together, of course.  We were watching another James Bond movie, of course, as that seems to keep her mind occupied on anything but this tormenting spirit of grief that of course isn't necessarily the best thing for me right now.  I just don't need any stress right now, and so why not join 007 on some adventures?



This morning, we saw "A View to a Kill," which was Roger Moore's last movie as Bond.  I remember watching this one when I was younger, and the two previous, and although it may not have been as amazing as the previous two, it was still pretty epic.  The snow chase scene?  The Eiffel Tower scene?  The fire truck and the blimp?  It's fun.  Plus, it still has my favorite Bond song.  I remember when this came out in theaters. I saw this one, and for some reason, I remember the newspaper ads for it, thinking about how much I couldn't wait to see another Bond film.  


Mom and Maddie got home not long later, and we had something to eat together.  Well, most of us.  Nana doesn't voluntarily eat that much.  You sort of have to do the same thing you do with a small child, manipulating her to actually eat food.  



Yes, this joke keeps popping up at the dinner table.  Sadly though, her food intake has been pretty low.  Nearly non-existence.  She won't eat.  Mom will make her a big bowl of soup or a sandwich or whatever, and go through all of this effort. And Nana will even say how much she loves soup.  And then she sits there at the table and plays with it with her spoon, or sits there arranging food around the plate as we sit there saying things like, "Gee, this soup is really good tonight."  And Maddie helps out, "Nana, you should try the soup - it's really good!"  But no, Nana doesn't eat.  And she sits there, rejecting all food, until she gets up and wants to eat a cracker or something from a box.  She refuses food that Mom makes, but at the same time, if Mom doesn't make her food, then it's a grievous insult.  So Mom makes food, knowing very well that it won't get eaten, but she does her best.  And the rest of us try our best, but there's only so much we can do.  


So tonight's kipper meal was such a funny moment.  A while ago we were at a British import shop, there to get a some sweets and other things.  But sure enough, I saw a can of kippers and picked it up.  Nana and I had some kippers tonight.  It was a very small amount, but at least she ate something.  We celebrate the small victories.


Madison had a shower this afternoon, this while I was on the couch resting.  Maddie and I played some Disney Infinity - a Star Wars level on extreme difficulty.  We defeated General Grievous, although it took some time.  It was fun though!  Nana was outside on the porch, and Mom was doing yard work.  My mother came over, and actually mowed our grass for us!  She's been such a blessing for us.  I felt so terrible with the girls outside doing all this work, and me inside playing video games.  But it was less than a week ago that they were doing a procedure on my heart.  


Which is why I didn't take Madison to FC Youth tonight at the church.  Our neighbor Dawn did, and that was such a nice thing.  Her daughter goes as well, so it all worked out.





It was a great night there!  She enjoyed small groups, and the game on stage too.  I did the worksheets for this night, and it all turned out well.  There's been a lot of great turnout!  There's such an energy behind this event, and a gratitude from parents.  Including me!  I'm so thankful the older kids have an outlet, and a place for worship, small groups, and of course a lot of fun!


She got home, and once she did, we all relaxed a bit.  I am doing research for our "Storm Chasers" series, and so part of that "research," we watched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" tonight.  I love this movie.  I forgot how good it is.  No doubt we'll be watching part two tomorrow night.  All of us - even Nana - were on the couch enjoying this one tonight.


It was late when we got to bed, but I still made time to read.  We did that, and then we prayed together.  One week ago, I was in a hospital bed at the Emergency Observation Unit.  We have a lot to be thankful for!


No comments:

Post a Comment