Thursday, February 29, 2024

Leap Day


It's Leap Day, a rare day on the calendar.  Maddie's seen five of them so far, and what you see above is me... leaping.  We were at the middle school again today, part of our usual after school event called "Bible Blast."  Beforehand, we were playing basketball with these large pilates balls which of course won't go through a basketball hoop.  Nevertheless, our new rules were to see if we can get one to settle in the hoop, which you can see happening above.  I got two points.  There were only a few of us trying it, so it wasn't necessarily a major victory.  Just a minor one.


And here's a picture of me in the hallway posing in front of photos.  That one kid looks a bit surprised at my skillz.  Yeah, that's skills with a "z."  Anyway, today was a big day at the office, and I completely forgot about it.  But twenty years ago this day I was offered the chance to work at KidPak as a job, and in fact I said yes.  The rest of the folks at the office took me out to eat, and we went to Panera, the very place where I was offered the job so many years ago.  Pretty cool!

It was a quiet day otherwise, and certainly a busy one for Mom who was sewing feathers onto costumes for Easter.  Maddie was doing work with forensics and other classes, and also in an elementary school herself for early childhood education.  

On the way home, I got some plates of barbecue from a church event, and the three of us had a barbecue dinner that was actually pretty good - and pretty filling.  I ate too much on that one.  It's a good thing I'm still doing roughly forty minutes or so a day on the treadmill.  Still in Namibia, and it's been fascinating to me.  I think I have two more walks there and then I'll have to find another country to discover!

Tonight we started the St. Patrick's Day season in earnest.  Well, it was earlier today that we were listening to vinyl records of the Chieftains.  But tonight we watched that movie you have to watch on February 29th, a movie called "Leap Year."  It's an Irish themed romantic comedy, and yes, it's somewhat predictable, but it's also very scenic, as you get to see a lot of the Irish countryside.  The premise of the movie involves our lead actress Amy Adams, heading to Ireland to do this thing that girls are allowed to do on February 29th:  propose to a guy.  Maddie was with us to watch this time, the three of us spending the final hours of this bonus day together in the living room.

Afterwards, it was back to the Kingdom Keepers book, and back to this curious park in North Africa where Finn's and Amanda's son Eli is being held against his will.  Coincidentally, his friends Blair, Marty, and Lily are there now too, hopefully to rescue him.  We'll see what happens next!

We said our prayers after reading, and then it was time for everyone to head down the hall and off to sleep.  We closed out an eventful February with a nice day.  Maddie put her head on the pillow and that's when she discovered something that's been there for some time:  the Frog Prince!  It's been a week and she hadn't noticed it yet!  Funny!  He still sings, "Just one kiss, and I'll be your valentine..."

He's in our bedroom now, ready to serenade anyone who'll listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment