Saturday, February 10, 2024

Enter the Dragon


It's the Year of the Dragon!  We started this year out with a hearty Chinese feast tonight, a little take-out that I picked up and brought back home.  I'm not feeling 100%, so this was the best option, a quiet night at home with some Chinese food and a few movies.


Oh, and some gifts too!  Maddie got a Mickey headband for the upcoming cruise, and it's a cruise-themed one, so it's pretty cool.  You can see the traditional red envelope there too.  And yes, given that it's the Year of the Dragon, we've got Mushu there at the table.  

After dinner, we had a bit of a Kung Fu Panda marathon, something we haven't watched in quite some time actually.  We did the first two movies as a double-feature.  One thing that I love is this one scene in the first movie.  We actually rewound the movie, went back and slowly advanced it frame by frame... If you watch “Kung Fu Panda” there is a really funny moment that can only be seen when hitting the pause button at the exact right moment.  Basically, when Shifu is challenging Po to eat a dumpling during his training, the ever serious Shifu speeds by and steals the dumpling from him so fast that all the viewer can see is a blur of movement - and a missing dumpling.  

But there’s something there.  Rewind, hit the pause button, and just advance the movie carefully along until you get to this one amazing frame of animation….



Try it out for yourself.  It's too fast to see - so be ready with the pause button.  Anyway, the Chinese New Year is a time for a few other traditional activities, like sweeping out the house for example.  I was upstairs with the vacuum getting cobwebs and so on.  The other tradition is a haircut, and Maddie was excited to go over to a nearby salon called "The Loft" that she's been to a few times.  She made this appointment herself a few weeks ago, and couldn't wait to get there for her haircut.  It's a bit shorter than she anticipated, but she likes it!



I had my Mushu socks on and an old "Enter the Dragon" shirt on today, just to be festive.  We were over at Team Edge earlier, which made it a pretty full day.  Maddie was practicing with a few others, although many of the team were out with various illnesses, which made me feel better that it's not just me.  I can't seem to shake this.  Anyway, while Maddie was at martial arts, I was over at the church getting things ready for tomorrow.  I was also working on this family tree project, getting some more family members in frames.  I'll share a picture of the completed project, but I got Uncle George and Aunt Shain up on the tree now, so next comes the various cousins, and maybe further out from there - we'll see if we can fit them all!  


Another thing I did was make a bib for myself for the upcoming 5K, should I be able to do that.  I just wanted to have my own racer's bib, even though it's not as official a race anymore.  I still plan to do it, and it's my first 5K, an international one at that!  I'll have the medal to prove it!


All in all it was a good day, a good way to start the new year.  We closed things out with reading some more from "The Shepherd's Crown," and after that prayers.  It was a good day though.  A quiet one, and a productive one too.  We went to sleep as the rain fell outside.  Tomorrow we've got a good Sunday ahead of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment