Wednesday, February 22, 2023

FCY February Block Party



 

There was a FCY Block Party tonight, and you'd think that would be somewhat risky given that is FEBRUARY and the Block Party was at night.  But lo, the weather was the warmest ever tonight, an amazing 73 degrees and no threat of rain.  So the students had a great time eating Mexican food and riding rides and playing games and just enjoying the evening together.  Maddie was with her friends, and I got there for pick-up but spotted that carnival game again where you squirt the water at a target and race fourteen others to the top.  Yes, I won again tonight.  I gave my plush prize to a girl who was trying to win all night.  It was a funny moment - number 13 wasn't doing well with the races, and the girl next to me had 13 and wanted to trade with me, knowing just that.  She was this older girl, and she had cut in line in front of all the students and that's where she wound up.  I was thinking for a moment that this seemed right that she get that one, and then I thought a moment further and figured I'd trade with her anyway, as she'd have a better chance and I was just there to win for someone else anyway.  So we traded and I told her, "It'll be just even more humiliating when I win though, you know that, right?"  And the game started, and yep:  I won.  Meanwhile, Maddie was eating food and going on the sidewinder afterwards, which she said is not a recommended tactic.  Lessons learned!  But she had a good night nonetheless.

Mom and I were watching a movie tonight, "The Lake House," and Mom's reaction to this movie was so funny.  She hated it because it was so confusing.  It kind of made sense, but given the rules of time travel that we tend to stick to because of Back to the Future movies, things were all over the place with the storytelling, and I see her point of view.  It was just an okay movie.  But it was funny because she was still complaining about it later on, and I've learned not to bring it up!

It was a super warm day outside today, at least for February.  We were outside from time to time at work, soaking up the sun and getting warm, because it's so cold inside the office.  But it was a good day today - we got things done.  I taught my class again with Josh, as we do each Wednesday, and we got things set up for Sunday, with a little more work to go in that direction.  Maddie sent a text and told me she got a 100 on her gummy bear project, and that was pretty awesome.  The end result was actually really well done.

We read tonight, checking out the Discworld as Bill Door looks ready to battle the Auditors once more.  We read from our devotional too.  It was another later night, so we got to bed after that, right after pulling in the bird feeders.  The opossums are back - we've spotted them on our deck a few times, so we're being careful about what is left out there.  We like the little guys, of course, but you have to be careful with raccoons and possums.  Anyway, it's late, and we were tired.  After tucking Maddie in and remembering to get Terry Loco the panda from another room to join her, we said goodnight and said our prayers, and were soon fast asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment