Friday, March 11, 2011

Johnny Appleseed Day


Today is Johnny Appleseed Day, which is one of those days you simply have to celebrate in our household. For those of you who may not know, Johnny Appleseed was a guy who spent many years traveling across the country with a pot on his head, a bag of seeds over his shoulder, and a Bible in his hand. He spent a lot of time doing good deeds - and planting good seeds.


We spotted it a few days ago on the calendar and thought what a fun opportunity for our Madison. Okay, so it was a
fun opportunity for us also!!
When Daddy got home from work, Madison was dressed up like the American Legend, with a pot on her head, bare feet, and a basket filled with apples. What a great way to greet Daddy at the door! She had just been creating some masterpieces with Mommy, who pulled out some green apple paint, and cut an apple in half. Together, they sat at the kitchen table and made apple prints, dipping the apple half into a bit of the green paint. You can see so for yourself below, and see that she was having a good time creating Apple Art ®.


That's a photo of Madison creating her first masterwork. It's called "Apple." We'll get Madison to sign it later, and maybe we'll make a fortune. Probably not. Odds are, the only thing we'll make is another apple print. Like this one here:


Mommy enhanced this one, so it is in fact a family effort. Afterwards, we watched the 1948 Disney cartoon, "Johnny Appleseed," which Madison really enjoyed. It really tied everything together.

Like, "Why on earth is Mommy putting a pot on top of my head? Oh! I get it now!"

It was a fantastic day for learning - and a great day for apples. As you can tell, we all had a great time tonight with the apple theme. In fact, Daddy is typing all of this up on an Apple right now!

"The Lord's Been Good To Me"


The Lord is good to me
And so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need
The sun and rain and an appleseed
Yes He's been good to me.


I owe the Lord so much
For everything I need
I'm certain if it weren't for Him
There'd be no apples on this limb
He's been good to me


Oh here I am
'Neath the blue, blue sky
A'doin' as I please
Singing with my feathered friends
Or with the bees


I wake up every day
As happy as can be
Because I know that with His care
My apple trees will still be there
Oh, the Lord is good to me


No comments:

Post a Comment