Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Hummingbird Migration

Hurricane Ida is on it's rampage across the country, and we were spared a direct hit here.  We got a lot of the residual rain though.  Bands of rain spiraled out and over our area, resulting in occasional heavy downpours that reminded us that we need to get our gutters taken care of.  Yeah, they're clogging up.  We've got someone getting that taken care of next week or so, getting them actually covered so we won't have to worry about clogs.  


But the one thing we did see a lot of today was a hummingbird visitor.



And so my one thing I wanted to get done this summer is now done.  I wanted a few good pictures of a hummingbird, and I got a few that aren't too bad today.  It's funny because we have these more elaborate hummingbird feeders, and yet this little plastic thing is the one they like the most.  Mom is a part of a group online that specifically deals with hummingbirds, and she discovered that the red cocktail that people put in the hummingbird feeders is actually not the best thing for these hummingbirds.  She made something based on recommendations, and that seemed to do the trick.  Also, it helps that we're a part of a migration route right now.  We might see even more of these friends during the week.  But until then, I have a few pictures that I took right here:






Today was the last day of August, which was not one of those months I'd like to revisit too often.  It was dominated with illness, but meanwhile life goes on in other ways.  I suppose Dr. Ian Malcom's words are true:  "Life finds a way."  We made our way through this month.  Tomorrow, the "Ber months" begin, and those are always the best of the year.  I'm glad we'll be healthy for those.

No comments:

Post a Comment