Thursday, August 5, 2021

First Day of High School


Today was Maddie's first day at high school.  I should probably say that again:  today was Maddie's first day of high school.  No, it doesn't seem real.  We've been caught up in so many other battles here lately that we haven't had time to let that sink in, and I suppose it won't for quite some time, but there she is on the front porch posing for her traditional picture before the first day of school, just as she's always done.  For reference, here's a picture of her on her first day of elementary school:



She's come a long way, but she's still a cutie.  I think I'm allowed to say that because I'm her dad.  I'm trying hard not to think about how fast it can go by and all that, and again, we're in the midst of our own battles right now.  But as for Maddie's day, she said it was a good one. And that's what we prayed together for this morning, a day of favor, learning, happy memories.  The first day is never a day of actual learning so much, unless you're in college or something.  Or you have one of those teachers.  So Maddie spent the day getting to know classmates and teachers, and just had a generally pleasant day without any issue at all with her locker either!  She was the first shift at lunch, and so technically, she was the first class ever to have lunch in that lunchroom at East Forsyth.  And again, it's the first day of school for anyone at East Forsyth High School.  The classrooms are new and in fact there are still pieces of furniture on order or props or whatever.  The kids and the teachers are all getting used to a new location.


I stayed home today, because I have been the sickest I've been in quite some time.  I did not get ill in 2020, and back in 2019 I felt symptoms of a sort in December.  But this one here is making up for lost time.  I just sat and watched the Olympics and other movies that I've been meaning to watch for a while on the watchlist.  But even all that - I have to be careful around some of this stuff.  It's funny how when you're that sick and you watch a particular movie, for some reason I always associate being super sick with movies.  So I was watching "Red Tails," and sure enough, from this point on, should I ever see that movie poster again, I'll immediately remember this high fever I've got.  Which I'm sure is not what the producer of the movie had in mind.  Speaking of which, the movie was decent - it's about the Tuskegee Airmen, and their battles in the skies, as well as on the ground.


Maddie had taekwondo practice again tonight, but I did not take her.  I was too far gone.  She went with Nana and Mom, and of course that went well.  She's still on track to do some testing there next weekend, and hopefully I'll be better by that time.  I know that sounds like a long ways off, but whatever I have at the moment is super bad.


Nevertheless, I still made time to read tonight.  Can't miss out on that!  Also, we prayed together as well.  The first day of high school went well, and we're all very glad of that.


No comments:

Post a Comment