Monday, November 29, 2021

Approaching December

We watched "A Boy Called Christmas" tonight, this after we just heard a good review of the book of the same name on a podcast.  The movie was good, another new movie for the season that we've seen that we've enjoyed together.  We've seen quite a few new movies and specials this year, and a lot of them have been pretty fun.  Of course, given that the world is what it is, some - like this movie - have done what it can to completely disregard the actual meaning and origin of Christmas.  I mean, one character is named Christmas, and another says towards the end, "Let's name this day after you."  


And I'm like, "Are you intentionally trying to forget who Christmas is really named after, or are you just not that bright?"  The first five letters in Christmas sort of give away who the day was actually named after.  That's a little thing, but overall the movie was decent, and certainly well-made.  I'm not sure how the book is, but I've checked it out from the library - online.  You can do that now - check an online book out, and read it on your computer or device.  I might read that one next, as soon as I'm done with "Hogfather."


Anyway, today was a return to taekwondo for Maddie, and she was happy to be there.  It won't be long before she's testing again.  Nana and I were there again to observe, and chat with the other parents as always.


Maddie finished up her advent chain again for this year, links of green and red construction paper linked together, with numbers on each 1-25, and small candy canes too.  It's all part of that morning ritual in December:  find the elf, get the advent calendar prize, and take another link off the chain.  Prayers and a picture follow.  It all starts in two days!


Mom was up late working on costuming, while I was finalizing the December messages for our new series.  The messages are what they would have been if we had done "Humbug," but we just converted things to a Neverland theme, as that's the series we're already in right now.  I've gotten a nice storyline set up with Captain Hook getting three visitors showing him past, present, and future, and it should be a lot of fun!


I made this graphic up using clip-art I found online, and I think it should work for the hand-outs that have the sermons on them.  The hand-outs go in the chairs, showing the three points for each message, along with supporting scriptures and so forth.  It should be a great mini-series.  I wish I could have done a devotional for it, or some dramatically new messages, but the skits should be fun.  The devotional is going to be one related to "A Christmas Carol," and man, because of all these last-minute changes, that deadline was pretty tight.  I just approved the cover this morning for a booklet that will be in our hands on Friday.  


So today was a day back to school for Maddie, and a day where Mom and I were still working on Christmas.  We even did some online shopping.  Or, at least a little.  Much of our shopping was done earlier, and in fact packages should be arriving soon.  I hate to order so much online versus actually going to places, but this year leaves me little choice, and it would be so stressful trying to find this or that while out and about amongst a throng of other holiday shoppers.  I can still head out, but at least it will be more enjoyable.  Once this Christmas production is over on the twelfth, we can do a lot of things and enjoy the season more.  We'll still make time to fit in some other holiday traditions, but it's going to be a flurry of activity to begin with.


Anyway, we prayed tonight, and of course we read.  It's been a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment