Thursday, August 18, 2022

Worthless


Today we went back to see our old car, one that I never really gave a nickname, but I was pretty sad to say goodbye.  We had to get the car rental situation taken care of quickly, and hopefully the other insurance will take care of all that.  It’s all a big pain, of course.  But again, we’re still alive and healthy, so that’s the blessing.  And that’s the big thought that hit me when I looked at our car for one finally time.  That car saved our lives.  Obviously, all glory goes to God for protecting us.  It was a situation that could have been significantly worse, certainly when considering Nana was in the passenger seat.  But that Toyota did exactly what it was supposed to do in a circumstance like that – the airbags all deployed, the side guards came down and the seatbelts held.  I have a few bruises because of the seatbelt, but it’s better than any alternative, of course.

 


It was a sad day.  It was like taking a pet to the vet for the last time.  I immediately started thinking of the cars in the junk yard in “The Brave Little Toaster,” those poor cars that sang songs about being worthless.  Our car is going to donate quite a few parts to other cars so that they can live long lives, so it’s not like it will be compacted into a tiny little cube.  Much of the car is intact, at least the back part of the car.  And that’s a wonderful thing – Maddie was back there.  She’s back at school, and perhaps a little sore, but not really that bad.  We all walked away from the wreck.  Thank you Lord.

 



This seam was always coming apart and I'd always have to hit it back so that the fender was flush.  This was just sad to look at, the two pieces finally just so separated there was no coming back.

This just looks like an angry car piece.  Like a villainous Transformer or something.


I didn't know those things came out over the windows.  And didn't know about the air bag beneath the steering wheel either.

The windshield held together somehow...




We’re driving a Nissan Altima now, a car I was happy to point out we once rented twenty-two years ago in Hawaii.  It has California license plates, so I donned my Angels cap and of course I have sunglasses on.  I hope that doesn’t make me a target for tickets, because I’ve had enough.  Driving to taekwondo tonight, I was so wary of other drivers, so sore and so not wanting to repeat any further injuries.  I’m not sure how stunt people do it!

 

We drove in our fancy car over to the taekwondo tonight, and Maddie was there for both classes, helping out.  I was driving our new rental around with Nana, getting a well-deserved Jamocha milkshake – the very thing we were supposed to get yesterday before the accident.  

 

Tonight Maddie had her small group, so she was talking with her friends for a bit, no doubt sharing yesterday’s adventure.  I’ve been watching this incredible journey with “Light and Magic,” a trip back in time to visit with all the movies I loved growing up.  She had some studying to do, which we give her clearance for of course.  She’s doing well so far, and that’s never a question.  But we’re proud of her, certainly.

 

Before bed, we read another chapter from our latest book with the Mysterious Benedict Society, and after that we said our prayers.  Everyone is tired – tomorrow is a busy Friday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment