Thursday, June 14, 2012

You're Not From Texas


Madison is into putting different outfits on her dolls, as seen here above.  It's actually a t-shirt from one of  Aunt Shain's teddy bears.  She happens to be a Texas fan for some reason, not that I have anything against Texas.  I'm not going to get into the Oklahoma vs. Texas sort of fight - I like both states pretty good.

Madison has been to neither so far.  Although it would be safe to say that she'd be in Texas before Oklahoma.  Size of the state alone would make that more probable.  That, and there's a whole lot more to do in Texas than Oklahoma.  Again, we'll chalk that up to state size.

A few years ago, Daddy went with some others in college to Oklahoma for a spring break.  While everyone else was heading to Daytona Beach or Panama City Beach, we went to Oklahoma.  Yes, we knew some people out there - it was somewhat odd to do this, but we were wanting to go do something different:  so there we were in Oklahoma.  It was a great visit, one that I'll never forget, actually.  And though the beach was a bit closer, I think we made the best choice.  Hopefully I'll scan some of those old photos to put here - it was a really fun trip!

As for Texas, we've been there plenty of times as well.  One time we flew there with the yearbook staff in high school to see the book publishing company.  I don't remember much from that trip except for the belgium waffles at a nice restaurant in Dallas.  I also remember the flight back from Dallas as one of the scariest I've ever experienced.  The turbulence was legendary, as were the long slow approaches to Atlanta (we made several attempts to land - the weather was so rough).  It was a fun trip, but it did put a dent in me when it comes to flying.  I'm not big on air travel, but I'm not like William Shatner in that Twilight Zone episode either.

Daddy's favorite parts of Texas are in the west, towards El Paso.  There's a middle-of-nowhere town called Van Horn which is pretty amazing.  Nearby is Guadeloupe Peak, the tallest point in Texas.  Yes, Daddy climbed that.  It was a while ago on a trip with Nana - we saw a bunch of New Mexico on that trip, but as you can expect, any journey west is going to include a lot of views of Texas.  It's a really big state.

Someday Madison will get to see Texas I'm sure.  Daddy is itching to take Madison out west, to get the cowboy hat on and see a dramatic change of scenery.  We'll stop by in Oklahoma too!

No comments:

Post a Comment