Thursday, August 20, 2015

Rock? Mineral? What?

We have a Jurassic World board game set up for Madison, one where she does various assignments like piano, speech therapy, and regular homework to advance her token along through a jungle landscape.  Along the way, she meets a LEGO T-rex, and LEGO velociraptors, who slightly divert her from the path.  But the objective is to complete the board game, which she will do in about six weeks.  That is, if she completes all the assignments during that time.  And as you may have suspected, if she completes the assignments, she gets a prize:  LEGO Jurassic World.

This afternoon we had speech therapy, rrrright?  It was good as always, and Madison is showing a lot of progress, just over the last year alone.  She has some new 'r' words to practice again and again, ones where the 'r' is close to another consonant.  Words like 'girl.'  She practices in the car on the way home.

Speaking of on the way home, we had a homework assignment to deal with:  a rock sample.  First, we had to get one.  Daddy and Madison stopped by the lake today, and walked along the lakeshore.  We found a few rocks, including a piece of quartz and a piece of mica.

Now you rock enthusiasts and geologists have already figured out our mistake.  Neither of those is technically a rock.  To me, a rock is something that is non-organic, solid, and found naturally.  But I am wrong, to the shame of my rockhound heritage!  Mica and quartz are not rocks, but in fact minerals.  To me, minerals are rocks though.  I mean, what's the difference?

Here's where geologists are going crazy on me.  And probably deservedly so.  Which is why I respectfully submit to those who classify such things, and move on with this blog entry.

We had to identify what kind of rock we picked up:  igneous, metamorphic, or sedimentary?  By the way, Madison says "sedimentary" very well.  But the rocks - er, I mean minerals - we picked up were not any of those above.

This led us on a path of research and discovery that we didn't intend to go on - but we learned a few things.  Here's Madison's entry below, and a photo of the mineral she found along the lakeshore:



I found my rock at Lake Lanier.  I believed it was a sedimentary rock.  I thought it is was sedimentary rock because it has layers in it.  We looked it up on our computer, and we found out it was mica. We also found out that it is not a rock! I learned that mica is a mineral. So, I went outside and I found another rock in my front yard.  It is a piece of granite, which is a piece of igneous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment