Saturday, July 13, 2013

Equestria Girls



     So we took Madison to see a "My Little Pony" movie today.  We got there about ten minutes before the big event, and I was surprised:  it was very crowded!  

     Now here's the funny thing.  Sure, there are parents and children there.  But amazingly, much of the theater is filled with teenagers or twenty-somethings, dressed in My Little Pony outfits/costumes, some of them wearing bright pink wigs.  I felt like I was at a Comic Con event.  I mean, many are actually carrying different pony dolls into the theater.  And they are seriously into this movie when it starts playing.  And not like a sarcastic sort of way either.  And a lot of them actually saw the movie during the one showing last month too, and were coming back for a repeat viewing!

     We're talking a serious cult following here.  Half of these were guys!  And we walked into it, having no idea how intense these people are!

     We were trying to figure out why everyone cheered for a particular character's cameo during the credits.  I spoke with a couple in the parking lot, both with Twilight Sparkle shirts, and purple-colored hair.  It was there that we got the full history of Derpy, apparently a controversial pony.  Sorry for the spoiler there, but anyway, afterwards they welcomed me to the "Bronies," as if I had entered some sort of Masonic arrangement.  

     I mean, I liked the movie and all.  But I also liked "Monsters University."  And yet I didn't see half a theater filled with people dressed up as monsters.  It's just wild what constitutes a cult following, versus a mainstream sort of event.

     I guess this is just a warning, or perhaps an invitation, about the next "My Little Pony" event.  Get ready to be amazed – and one more thing:  before anyone calls it, my favorite pony is Applejack.  I reckon we really do represent the elements of friendship!

     Madison enjoyed the movie, clearly.  And it appears as if we'll be getting together soon for some playtime with her ponies.  That might even be tonight before bedtime.  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment