Thursday, October 10, 2024

Bring a Friend Day and the Wolf Man

We had a little grocery shopping to do tonight.  Okay, a lot of grocery shopping.  Maddie was at taekwondo, and I stayed with her a little there to watch, particularly during the bit where everyone invited a friend.  Maddie actually had someone come to visit, although it wasn't anyone she knew.  She did, however, get there one class early to assist with an extra class because there was a young boy related to Bradley of Bradley's Pumpkin Farms, and that boy was a little tentative about trying this new class.  Maddie made him feel welcome though, and I think he had a great time!



As for the grocery shopping, I got us stocked up again.  I got some seasonal pumpkin spice mini-wheats too.  It seems as if the pumpkin spice thing is all over the place.  My sister said she even had some pumpkin spice garbage bags, I guess with the scent of pumpkin spice in them.  We have that flavor coffee in the morning from time to time.  Maddie really likes the pumpkin spice flavoring, and I'm good with it a few times in the season too.  


She had a little bit of homework tonight, so Mom and I started an interesting new movie marathon that I've recently built up the courage to want to try:  classic Universal movie monsters!  We're talking Bela Lugosi's Dracula, Lon Chaney's Wolfman, and Boris Karloff's Frankenstein as well.  There's more than that, but these are the ultimate classics, these old black-and-white horror films.  Today's horror films of course involve quite a bit of blood, but these old movies sort of defined these classic characters.  So anyway, tonight we watched "The Wolf Man" from 1941.  



I'm not a horror movie person, nor is Mom.  We don't go in for jump scares and gore.  But I mentioned having "courage" to see these old flicks, and that's because when I was a kid, I was terrified of actually seeing any of these old black and white movies.  My mind built up such a fear of them, and my active imagination painted stories that were so terrifying that I just never even considered actually watching them.  So here we are many years later, and sure enough, they're all on streaming services and they aren't that long.  So why not check them out?  And sure enough, they aren't terribly scary.  


But imagine being in the audience the first time this was released.  No one had ever seen a movie with a wolf man before, and there wasn't any CGI back then, so many of the chills and frights are brought on by that same imagination that fills in the blanks here or there.  This poor protagonist, sure enough, has been bitten by a gypsy who was also a wolf man.  And wouldn't you know it?  That previous wolf man was portrayed by actor Bela Lugosi, who is also the original Dracula.  We enjoyed the movie, and next I think I'm going to have to summon up the courage to see the most horrifying movie of them all, the 1931 Dracula.  I can do this.  I can be brave.  Although I'll tell you this though:  I doubt I'll ever see the 1922 movie "Nosferatu."  Just seeing images of that one as a kid freaked me out.  But back to "The Wolf Man."  We liked it.  It had such an abrupt ending, but the classic Universal monster vibes were all there.  In my personal canon, we know that Lon Chaney's character doesn't die his father's attack at the end of this movie.  Obviously.  That's because we see him return to visit Abbott and Costello, right?



Anyway, and moving on, today was a good day.  We got some writing done for the Christmas devotional, and are preparing a Christmas play for the younger kids too.  This weekend seems to be largely wrapped up with writing, and things are moving forward there.  The weather outside is getting a bit chillier, and it feels more like fall now.  The hummingbirds are still around, but soon it will be time for them to migrate south.  Meanwhile, the other birds are becoming more reliant on our feeders, so we're getting more visitors again.  Lots of bird noises out there!


We closed out the day with some more reading from "Equal Rites," which is rapidly coming towards an end here.  Our main protagonists are in a few separate battles to save the Discworld.  I believe that Maddie would like to continue on with these characters in the Discworld, so we'll press on there for a bit.  I think we're staying in the Discworld for a good while now.


We said our prayers tonight, and the Plush Entourage joined Maddie for a good night's rest.  We've got some catching up on sleep to do this weekend, I hope.  A little.


No comments:

Post a Comment