Monday, February 13, 2023

Medicine Ball


Maddie created this masterpiece in her early childhood class, a Cinderella with extraordinarily large feet.  Although it's actually probably just supposed to be her dress with frilly bits at the bottom where the toes are.  Regardless of how it looks, it came out fun.  She was sharing a picture of this with me today, and it's just fun to see something like this, certainly after all the immensely detailed work on her gummy bear project.

  


Tonight she had taekwondo, and there was this funny moment where she was up against the glass, with us looking right at her face-to-face as she attempted to throw a medicine ball upwards.


Firstly, let's talk about the origin of the name for the medicine ball:  it is called that because it "invigorates the body, promotes digestion, and preserves one's health."  I'm not entirely sure about that.  All I know is that it is this large and seemingly pointless heavy ball.  I mean, you don't use it in any sports.  It's just for exercise.  I've tossed a medicine ball back and forth with friends in school, and that was about it for this uncelebrated sports ball.  As a kid, I remember this ball fondly because it was the one item Tony Randall was desperate to find when he met Arnold Schwarzeneggar in the movie "Scavenger Hunt."


Arnie thinks that this poor guy wants just to work out and get fit.  So he puts him through a lot on the treadmill until gasping and wheezing, Tony Randall's character breathes out, "All I want... (gasp)... is a medicine ball."  At which point, Arnie is happy to hear he'd like to work out with one.  So he tosses a medicine ball to him, not in a vindictive way, but with just enough muscle that the poor guy gets hit with it and is thrown backwards, still clutching that medicine ball as he crashes out the window of a second-story building.  As a kid, these are the movies I loved.  I kind of want to watch this one again, actually!


Secondly, Maddie is clearly about as good with a medicine ball!

We got home after taekwondo, and that's when Maddie was doing her homework.  So Mom and I were watching one of the movies from our romantic comedy collection, "While You Were Sleeping."  It seems to be more of a Christmas movie at the onset, but it's one we've watched a few times this time of year too because we both like it so much.  

Mom had this seasonal heart-shaped pasta for us when we got home, although the pasta didn't really maintain its shape so much when it got cooked.  The hearts weren't symmetrical to begin with, so they all came out in the shape of West Virginia.  Or all broken up too.  We decided it was a "broken heart pasta," which sounds more dramatic.  But it eats good!  

Another delicious, delicious treat Mom got for me today while we were out at taekwondo was GIRL SCOUT COOKIES.  I seem to have a serious problem with their thin mints.  I mean, I think there's some sort of addictive substance within, because I have never been like this so much with a cookie.  I open one of those little plastic wrappers around the stack of them in the box, and the next thing you know, I've eaten all of them.  I have no self-control with these, apparently.  A neighbor had a Girl Scout selling these and posted the sale online with social media for the neighborhood, and so I had two boxes when I got home.  Or... now it's 1 1/2 boxes...

Tonight we read more about Bill Door and Windle Poons, and the book is really moving along now.  It's a great read!  We said our prayers, and got to bed when we could tonight.  It's chilly outside, and it's nice and comfy under those blankets.


No comments:

Post a Comment