Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It all starts tomorrow...

Tomorrow is the first day of school for our girl, and all is set and ready.  Mommy has made lunch and set up for breakfast early in the morning - Daddy is going to drop her off, although he isn't quite sure of the routine there.  He'll get there early enough, and at least he knows where to go, thanks to the open house the other day.

Can you believe it is already the first day of kindergarten?  Mommy skipped kindergarten, but Daddy didn't.  He went to an elementary school in Riverdale, New Jersey - which looks something like this:


I remember very little from kindergarten, but what I do remember is pretty solid:  the Pledge of Allegiance every day.  Singing "My Country Tis of Thee."  The notes of the scale (Copy Cat, Donald Dog, Elmer Elephant, Fanny Frog, Gerald Giraffe, Anty Ant, Busy Bee, Copy Cat).  But one thing I don't think I ever learned was who on earth that statue was of in front of the school.  I think he's a soldier from World War I, but I don't know for sure.  Look how ancient that school looks - it probably still looks that way, just the way it looked when I was there.  We were in a small offshoot area that was to the left, and at the time we lived only a few blocks away.  My grandparents lived nearby this school for many years, but eventually we moved further south where Daddy went to school elsewhere.  Districts were fluctuating so much that I went to several different schools growing up:  Walter C. Black, Perry L. Drew, Melvin H. Kreps, Grace Norton Rogers.  I can't believe I still remember all these names!

I hated every one.

My prayer - our prayer - is that Madison has a much different school experience.  We hope she thrives in school, and squeezes everything she can out of it.  That she'll use it as a springboard for something far greater than even we can imagine.  Of course, that's every parent's dream and prayer.  Though Madison has a bit to learn in regards to speech, she seems pretty fearless and quick to learn.  And she's pretty cute too!  It all starts tomorrow - can you believe it?

No comments:

Post a Comment