Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Water Music

Today was Madison's last day at Music Class - at least until the fall - and there was a celebration at the end unlike any other.  Mrs. Pam, Madison's teacher, had put together a bunch of fun games, most of them involving water!  Some involved using squirt guns to shoot at notes, and well, you can imagine that everyone came away pretty soaked.  In fact, there were prior instructions to "bring a towel," which we did.

Also today, the second-to-last day of classes at pre-school.  Can you believe it is almost over?  After Summer Xtreme, Madison will start up Summer School at the pre-school, and continue with speech therapy, but in a much more limited way.  As of tomorrow, pre-school is over, which is pretty amazing.  We think back to the first day of classes, which as with everything doesn't seem that long ago.  She's in the class of 2025, which seems like such a long time from now - and yet look how fast the last thirteen years have flown by.  That's why we treasure each day so much with Madison.  Her smile is a gift, her laugh, her beautiful countenance.  We just love the way she hides the moment Daddy gets home from work, and pops out to scream "Boo!"  Of course, we love everything about her.  One blessing of Daddy's recent illness is the extended amount of time I've got to spend with her - the first week was rough, isolated in the hospital.  But the following weeks have been a blessing, despite the obvious pains.

Speaking of which, the doctor's visit revealed a little more about my current condition, which I'll post below.  This was an email that I sent out to everyone interested, just a little update:

****************

IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING!

Here's my little update on my health, after the gastro-whatever doctor's visit today:

"A cyst is a closed sac, having a distinct membrane and division compared to the nearby tissue. It may contain air, fluids, or semi-solid material."

Okay, so after the doctor's visit today, it's determined I've got one of these inside me:  a cyst.  Can you say "gross?"


It's large enough to press against some significant organs, hence all the discomfort I've been experiencing.  This is apparently standard procedure:  my experience with pancreatitis left me with a cyst, which at first I thought was some harmless little wart on my pancreas.  But evidently, this thing is large enough to wreak havoc!  Beware the cyst!

Bottom line:  it'll take a few more weeks to heal.

OTHER BOTTOM LINE:  It is a "great mystery" still what caused all this in the first place, as these typical causes have all been ruled out by doctors:

1.  High cholesterol
2.  A random bite from a Caribbean arachnid (seriously!)
3.  Heavy drinking (they keep asking me about this one)
4.  Gall stones (these have never been physically found, so this is ruled out)


SO WHAT CAUSED THIS?  That's what my return doctor visit will be about - the one scheduled AFTER Summer Xtreme in June.  Basically, when the cyst has gone down, and the inflammation is down, I'll be well enough for them to stick this tube down my throat and/or give me ANOTHER MRI to see if I have an abnormal pancreas, or one with flaws.


If there are no flaws, the doctors will all collectively shrug their shoulders and say, "Hey, these things happen!"

If there ARE flaws, then I get to have this exciting repair session where they stick big long things down my throat.

Obviously, I'm sort of hoping for the "these things happen" explanation...!


No comments:

Post a Comment