Thursday, January 7, 2021

All Around

It's cold and rainy, that frustrating rain that is roughly five degrees from being something beautiful, and yet stubbornly refusing to make anyone happy at all.  Despite everyone's hopes and pleading, it stays committed to being something cold, miserable and wet, and altogether unpleasant.  It was one of those nights that is best enjoyed indoors, but we did have to go out for a bit, and that was a project.  I acted as a ferry, guiding one person at a time through the wind and rain to the car under the large umbrella.  We were at taekwondo tonight, the longer class, and it was warm in there.  Also, there were a good number of students in there, which again is good to see.  A restaurant opened next door, so the parking lot was a little more full, which led to the reverse process of the ferrying people from the car to the studio.  Nana wouldn't miss it though - she was observing Madison as she sparred with others, did her form exercises, and then later for leadership class used the kamas and did some more elaborate routines.  It was a longer night, but we still made time to go straight to the library after that, getting there to pick up our next book, a Star Wars novel called "Scoundrels."  We haven't actually met the main cast yet, but the first chapter sets things up.  We also read some from the book of Judges, and we didn't get to the name "Samson" yet, but I was proud of Madison for remembering the name Manoah.  She couldn't place the name exactly, but as I was reading, and reading about what his wife had to avoid while pregnant, Madison figured it out right away.  


Madison had a good day at school, as she's had lately.  She already had a quiz in science, a pop quiz.  She felt like she did a decent job on it.  She had Spanish, and ELA too, but these are all essentially classes that start off the semester, and not much accomplished in them.  She's enjoying PE already - she's an athletic student, and it's great to exercise and do some physical activity each day.


Along those lines, I've been on the treadmill each day, getting back, at least I think.  I've had a slight cough, but I think that actually related to the reason I'm on the treadmill to begin with.  I just need to strengthen this heart.  To that extent, I'm still on the medication, and I was sleeping okay until tonight at least.  Tonight was rough.  I didn't take my medication before bed, the one that helps me sleep.  And as a result, sure enough I was up at 3:30 this morning, and up and ready from that point on.  It'll catch up with me.


So after almost a year, the virus finally has gotten to a lot of the people we know.  We're being a bit more cautious, but the KidPak staff in particular has been hit with one employee and her family, plus a husband of another.  It's out there, and the hospital beds are full locally.  It's all around us.


No comments:

Post a Comment