Saturday, October 21, 2023

Fiddler on the Roof


Today we went down to see "Fiddler on the Roof," which pretty much cemented our belief that this is the best theater in the North Georgia area currently.  We were convinced when we saw "CATS" a few months ago, so we snatched up these season tickets, and yes, this performance - and the others - are sold out.  Wow.  The picture above is timely because it's somewhat of a ghost story and this is of course the end of October.  It's a funny story too, a hilarious part of the play.  And yet when I was very young, I heard this and thought it was all such terror - I didn't realize Tevye was making up the whole thing.


Of course, this play is timely for other reasons that are unfortunate.  The recent attack on Israel has put this story on everyone's radar, the plight of the Jewish people throughout history.  It's a bittersweet story, both on stage and in real life.  People do horrible things to other people.  


Of course "Fiddler on the Roof" is a play we're really familiar with.  I know so many of the words.  My parents got to see Zero Mostel's last season of performances, and of course we've also seen the movie with Topol in it time and again.  I have a vinyl album that I play of this production's musical every so often, and I remember hearing it before too, singing along, and I vividly remember using my Rowlf the Dog puppet to lip-synch the song "If I Were a Rich Man."  A lot of memories with this play.


Maddie had Team Edge practice this morning, and we got some Cracker Barrel afterwards on the way home.  Traffic was horrendous, a bunt reminder to those of us that don't live in the urban areas that this is the reason we don't live in the urban areas.  Although, that seems to be creeping north towards us.  Progress and growth means more waiting around in traffic.


Tonight we watched "Men in Black" as a part of our October series, and shortly after that we were in bed (after reading, of course).  Got a big day tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment