Tuesday, July 25, 2023

We're Having a Heat Wave


We're havin' a heat wave, and at the moment the best strategy is to stay indoors.  The rain frequency has just suddenly stopped, almost like the Braves' victories, and it is that sort of hot outside where you just don't really want to do anything out there, even walk around.  We are doing things, big things!  In fact, Maddie spent nearly the entire day playing Stardew Valley!  Okay, so that's not necessarily a big accomplishment in most eyes, but it was a relaxing day for her, a chance to rest before the school season gets kicked off with rocket fuel in August.  


I was looking at this blog and I realized that I haven't mentioned my little pets in a while.  Yes, the sea monkeys are doing just fine in their martian landscape.  I "Oh-Two" them each morning, as Maddie likes to call it, which is basically making sure their water is oxygenated.  They get fed once a week, despite my temptation to dabble a little food in there early.  And that's the trick I think - not overfeeding them.  They're doing well, and there are some with eggs present, so we'll see how that goes.



We've had hummingbirds outside, and though I'm not as prolific with taking pictures of them as I was last year, I still snapped a few.  There are at least two that I know of, and one of course is very territorial.  That's how hummingbirds are.  The one female sits on a branch nearby and surveys her kingdom, daring interlopers to come in and challenge her right to the feeder.    I saw a chickadee get a little too close and believe it or not this little pushy hummingbird chased it around some.  It also tried chasing around a mourning dove, but that's like a human diver trying to push around a blue whale.  



The other birds have been numerous too.  It's a pleasant past time watching all our visitors come in.


So my blood pressure has been on the rise again, and that's scary.  The treadmill died, and I need to get a new one, and all of the vacation eating may have caught up with me - plus the stress of all the things that need to be done at work.  It's been crazy.  Hopefully we can get that taken care of.  But yeah, there's a lot coming up at church, especially in December, which we're suddenly pretty worked up about right now.


Tonight there was no taekwondo or church service, so we plugged in an old movie, "Big," which Maddie's never seen before.  If it weren't for the more mature parts, this would be a great part of our Boardwalk series we used to do.  I love the Zoltar machine there - it's so creepy!  The piano scene is iconic, of course, and it makes me want to get one of those out and start playing on it.  I think we have a version of that somewhere in the house, actually.  It would be just the exercise we need each morning, hopping around on piano keys to start out the day.


Closing out the day, we read from "Leia" again, and it's a longer book from the Star Wars galaxy.  But it's been decent thus far, with Leia wanting to prove her worth and abilities to her parents, with mixed results.  It was cool to see Captain Panaka again... for a chapter, at least.  


Anyway, we said our prayers at the end of the day, and we were off to sleep.  That's another thing I need to work on - a good night's rest.  Let's do that tonight.  


No comments:

Post a Comment