Sunday, June 28, 2026

Hollywood Domino

 


We tried a new domino game tonight, and oddly enough this one has been sitting around quite some time in the basement because when it comes to dominoes, there's just this one set we keep going back to with the little trains and the depot and all that.  It's a great set, but tonight we saw this Hollywood Domino game that I picked up at a thrift store some time ago, and it's never even been opened!  So yeah, we gave it a try!



Maddie's got that "put the camera down" smile on here, but regardless, we had a pretty good time with this one.  There are some variations, and certain plays are relabeled to fit a movie-making theme.  There are stunt double dominoes, a blockbuster one, sequels and trilogies, and instead of trains, there are different movie themed statuettes representing a genre of the movie you're making.  My favorite part is that instead of a "junk train," there's now an actual red carpet path as well.  None of this makes any sense if you don't play dominoes, so I'll just leave it at this:  we had fun!


Aw, poor hedgehog isn't having fun!  That's okay, as he keeps getting his water and there's some small sprouting going on - it won't be long before we have a green little hedgehog here.  Speaking of green, we've got a pepper starting to grow in the garden.


Not only do we have a pepper down there, but we also have small tomatoes growing too.  Add that to our lettuce, and we're talking about an actual salad that we can make one night.  That will be so exciting!

Today was a quiet Sunday, as far as Sundays go.  We were in service this morning, of course, and focused on Hebrews 11.  Our trivia game was big, the Monumental Trivia.  It was a good Sunday morning service for the kids!  We had all kinds of visitors from out of town, given that Forward was this weekend, so it was good to see so many familiar faces.  

Maddie didn't get to see those familiar faces, as she was over at another church this morning with Nate.  They were helping to celebrate the birthday of one of his grandparents, and that was sweet to be there.  She enjoyed her time there, and rejoined us later on in the afternoon.

I'm still walking along virtually, trying to keep that blood pressure in check.  I think I may have stumbled upon the source of the difficulty, and I'm continuing to self-diagnose, but presently the word "gluten" is in my vocabulary and it suddenly applies to me.  This may be bringing all kinds of complications, but again, I'm still figuring it all out.  Meanwhile, I walk because that does help.  I'm watching all kinds of programming as I march along, all of it about the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore, and a lot of it is interesting.  The one program I watched about the history of Mount Rushmore itself was fascinating, a look at just what it took - and how long - to create this iconic sculpture.  Other videos have been POV videos walking around the park and so on, but I intend to branch out and re-visit Custer State Park, one of my favorite destinations because of Needles Highway and all those bison.  And there's Jewel Cave and Wind Cave too, as well as a spot that for some reason I love so much:  the Badlands.  It'll be a fun little virtual walk in South Dakota, and sure enough I might throw in Wall Drug and the Corn Palace just for fun.  I'm about 15% through this one, so I've got plenty of time to squeeze all this in, plus maybe even "North by Northwest," which features Mount Rushmore of course.  And of course the National Treasure movies.

Okay, moving on.  We did have the Braves game on, and they lost another frustrating game today, the offense in a magnificent slump.  It's magnificent to the other teams who have been catching up with us.  Hopefully we can turn this around, but even in losses like these there are highlights and moments that brighten things up.  We're still watching, win or lose, although the latter seems to be more prominent lately.

Tonight we read, of course, and after that it was time for prayers - and time for sleep, hopefully.  This condition has left me with about two hours of sleep per night the last few nights.  That's another trend I hope will stop - we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment